Fifty-eight people are dead as Hurricane Ida continues to wreak havoc along the East Coast.
The Northeast has been hit particularly hard, where 45 people have been reported dead. More than half of these deaths, 23, occurred in New Jersey, according to Gov. Phil Murphy, while 13 were killed in New York City, according to multiple outlets. The South has also sustained damage, with Louisiana’s Department of Health announcing Thursday nine residents have died from the storm so far, including three deaths in nursing homes currently under investigation.
Amrita Bhagwandin, who is from the Queens borough of New York, said that two of her neighbors had died from the storm and implored officials for help.
“We would like to see the promises made today by the governor, the mayor, the senators, all the city agencies to be fulfilled immediately,” she told CNN. “We want this federal aid to come to us now. Tomorrow can’t come fast enough. It should have been here today.”
Tornado spawned by Hurricane Ida storms through a New Jersey neighborhood. pic.twitter.com/Vmp4tCrQor
— USA TODAY (@USATODAY) September 3, 2021
Drone footage shows homes destroyed by a tornado with winds up to 150 mph that ripped through Mullica Hill, New Jersey, one of seven twisters that touched down in the Philadelphia area as the remnants of Hurricane Ida slammed the Northeast. https://t.co/ozT7weMwb9 pic.twitter.com/kFF8Y4z9oJ
— ABC News (@ABC) September 3, 2021
UPDATE: The governors of New York and New Jersey declared states of emergency late Wednesday amid prolific flooding from the remnants of Hurricane Ida that deluged communities throughout the Northeast. https://t.co/32SFXglZkr
📸: Getty Images, USA TODAY pic.twitter.com/5sdH9yCebn
— USA TODAY (@USATODAY) September 2, 2021
On Thursday, when the U.S. death toll stood at 46, New York Gov. Kathy Hochul said she had spoken with President Joe Biden, who pledged federal assistance to the state.
Biden is scheduled to visit Louisiana on Friday to survey the damage.
Source: Washington Examiner : Nearly 60 dead from Hurricane Ida so far
- Texas Abortion Ban To Remain In Place Until Arguments, Supreme Court Rules
- Montana Rape Suspect Is An Afghan Refugee Resettled By Biden Administration
- CNN Defends Lie About Joe Rogan By Saying Rogan Had His Feelings Hurt
- State Seeks Temporary Restraining Order To Stop Biden Vaccine Mandate
- State Dept Accidentally Proves Biden Lied About How Americans Were Left Behind In Afghanistan
- Loudoun School Board Was Informed Of Alleged Sexual Assault The Day It Happened
- DeSantis Shares Don’t Tread On Florida Meme Featuring An Alligator
- Trump’s Truth Social Platform Deal Draws Strong Interest From Investors
- Proposed Electric Vehicle Tax Credits Benefit Unions – Not Environment
- Biden Claims No Time To Visit Border Despite 24 Trips To Delaware
- CRT, Anti-Racism, BLM: Legacies Of A Slave Mentality
- Fed Bans Officials From Buying Stocks In Response To Trading Controversy
- DeSantis To Call Special Legislative Session To Address Covid-19 Vaccine Mandates
- Trump Releases New Details On Social Media Platform That He Is Launching Soon
- Biden Boasts Plan To Take Vehicles Off Highways And Put People On Trains