Republicans adopted a harsher tone this past week about the surge of noncitizens coming across the southern border, calling it not just a “border crisis” or a “constitutional crisis” but a “moral crisis” attributable to President Joe Biden.
“What is happening on the border … is, I think, a humanitarian crisis. It is a national security crisis. It is a drug crisis,” said Sen. Josh Hawley, a Missouri Republican, in a hearing. “It’s also, frankly, a moral crisis when you see the children being exploited and smuggled for profit by these cartels at the border, when you see the lies that these cartels are telling innocent people to get their money and bring them across the border, and when you see the effects of the drugs that are flowing across this border into every community of my state.”
Illegal immigration at the southern border in March hit the highest level in 21 years. Those levels rose in April and then again in May as more than 180,000 people attempted to enter the United States between ports of entry or were denied at those border crossings. Sen. John Cornyn, a Texas Republican, called it a “flood of humanity” during a congressional hearing Tuesday.
Mayor Doug Nicholls of Yuma, Arizona, said he wants Biden to consider the moral consequences that high migration levels to the U.S. have on those making the journey.
“They’re paying a lot of money to these criminal organizations that are then exploiting them further along the trip, and potentially even abuse, sexual abuse, rape, all sorts of other atrocities that, as Americans, isn’t something that fits into our culture — isn’t something that we find acceptable,” Nicholls told the Washington Examiner in an interview this week. “Not trying to address the issues that lead to rape of between 60-80% of the female travelers, that’s an issue. We wouldn’t put up with that in any other system, any other country. We own trying to solve that issue. And as far as I can tell, I haven’t seen any movement in that direction.”
While the Biden administration in January allowed children who show up without a parent at the border to be brought into the U.S., Sen. Ted Cruz, a Texas Republican, said the move was the opposite of compassion and claimed it has led to the “suffering” and “abuse” of children who are instead trafficked or hurt while being smuggled by adults whom they do not know.
Children are frequently abandoned at the southern border, only to be found and rescued by Border Patrol agents. In one incident, a man and woman in Mexico left a 5-year-old at the border near El Paso, Texas, then fled the scene.
The number of children who came across without a parent or guardian dropped from 17,171 in April to 10,765 in May. It is the third-highest amount in the Border Patrol’s 97-year history and down from the peak of 18,960 in March. The previous record of 11,861 was set in May 2019.
Source: Washington Examiner : Republicans call abuse of migrants a ‘moral crisis’ of Biden’s making
Join Our Mailing List
- Comedian Adam Carolla Blacklisted By Hollywood Says It’s A Small Price To Pay For Free Speech
- House Passes Bill To Force Taxpayers To Fund Abortion
- No One Knows Anything: Experts Ask CDC To Release Data On Revised Mask Mandates
- Kamala’s Five-Pronged Strategy For Biden’s Border Crisis
- White House On Potential For New Lockdowns: We’ll Follow The Guidance From The CDC, Whatever It Is
- Thunberg Gets Covid Jab After Saying Completely Unethical To Vaccinate Young People In Wealthy Countries
- Jake Ellzey Wins Texas Runoff Election Over Trump-Endorsed Susan Wright
- Biden Wants To Raise The Threshold For Products Considered Made In America
- Biden DHS Released 50,000 Illegal Immigrants Into The US Without Court Dates
- AOC, Tlaib Blast Sinema’s Refusal To Support Dems’ $3.5T Spending Package
- Recalling Newsom: Likely California Voters Split On Ousting Governor
- Who’s Ready To Be Smeared As A Domestic Terrorist? The Circus Begins
- DOJ Declares Vaccine Mandates Legal
- Video Emerges Of Trump’s Son Smoking Crack. Just Kidding, It’s Actually Joe Biden’s Son
- CDC To Reverse Course, Recommend Masks For Vaccinated People