The last remnant of former President Donald Trump’s once-glamorous Atlantic City casino empire was demolished early Wednesday.
At 9:08 a.m., the former Trump Plaza casino was razed in a controlled explosion, crumbling “like a deck of cards” as Fire Chief Scott Evans had earlier predicted.
Overall, it took the structure less than 20 seconds to collapse — crashing down in a giant cloud of dust that enveloped the beach and Boardwalk.
More than 100 people lined the New Jersey beach to watch the implosion of the Boardwalk casino that had fallen into disrepair after it was shuttered in 2014, the Press of Atlantic City said.
Mayor Marty Small told the paper he woke at 4:13 a.m. and couldn’t get back to sleep because he was so excited to get the “eyesore of Trump Plaza” down.
But in its heyday, the former casino was the jewel of the real estate developer’s casino empire.
The former casino was cleared to open a prime development opportunity.
AP Photo/Seth Wenig
After it opened in 1984, Trump Plaza became the most successful casino in Atlantic City for a time — and was a celeb magnet.
“The way we put Trump Plaza and the city of Atlantic City on the map for the whole world was really incredible,” Bernie Dillon, the events manager for the casino from 1984 to 1991, told the Associated Press.
A crowd watches as the former Trump Plaza casino was demolished in Atlantic City, New Jersey, on Feb. 17, 2021.
“Everyone from Hulk Hogan to Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, it was the whole gamut of personalities. One night before a Tyson fight, I stopped dead in my tracks and looked about four rows in as the place was filling up, and there were two guys leaning in close and having a private conversation: Jack Nicholson and Warren Beatty.”
Other A-list guests included the likes of Madonna, Sean Penn, Barbra Streisand, Don Johnson and Muhammad Ali.
“It was a special time. I’m sorry to see it go,” Dillon said.
Trump Plaza was considered a jewel of the former president’s casino empire.
To complete the implosion, demolition crews strategically positioned explosives at certain points along the building’s support structures, knocking its legs out from under it and allowing the building to collapse on itself, Evans explained.
The former casino — which used to market itself as “Atlantic City’s centerpiece” — was cleared to open a prime development opportunity.
Trump Plaza became the most successful casino in Atlantic City after it opened in 1984.
Though the former president built it, the building was bought by billionaire Carl Icahn in 2016.
With Post wires
Author: Lee Brown
Source: Nypost : Trump’s dilapidated former Atlantic City casino demolished
Join Our Mailing List
- Consumer Prices Jump 0.6% In March, Biggest Gain Since 2012
- Project Veritas Confirms CNN Is A Cesspool Of Dem Propaganda
- House Dem Margin Shrinks To 2 Votes With Swearing-In Of Rep Julia Letlow
- Daunte Wright Was Wanted For Robbing And Choking A Woman At Gunpoint. Here’s Why That Matters
- Ever Tried To Get A Job Outside Of Their Father’s Business? Hunter Biden Targets Trump Children
- Marines’ Vaccine Hesitancy Presents Early Test For Biden As Commander-In-Chief
- BLM Of NYC Calls For Independent Investigation Of BLM Co-Founder After $3.2 Million Home-Buying Binge
- Pentagon Develops Microchip Sensor Technology To Rapidly Detect Covid-19 In Human Blood
- Reports Suggest Trump Might Do Away With Pence, Snag DeSantis For Possible 2024 Dream Ticket
- FDA, CDC Call For Immediate Pause Of Johnson & Johnson Coronavirus Vaccine
- Pelosi Unloads On The Squad, Mocks AOC In New Biography
- Police Say Fatal Shooting Of Daunte Wright Was An Accident, Release Bodycam Footage
- Trump Praises Troops At The Southern Border: They Are Proud To Be Defending Our Nation
- Israel’s Cyberattack On Iranian Nuclear Facility So Severe That Facility Might Be Down Till 2022
- Anthony Fauci: We Very Well May Need Coronavirus Booster Shots After 6-18 Months